Are fir trees poisonous to dogs?

They are not digestible and can be mildly toxic depending upon your dog’s size and how much she ingests. The fir tree oils can irritate your dog’s mouth and stomach and cause her to vomit or drool excessively.

It’s never too early to put up your Christmas decorations, and a bright and lovely Christmas tree can be the ideal remedy for gloomy winter evenings.

It’s crucial for pet owners to understand the risks that Christmas trees and other seasonal plants pose to their canine companions.

Holiday Plant Poisons

Other holiday plants can steal the show by toxicating your pet in addition to being the season’s main draw. When putting together your holiday décor, stay away from these four dangerous plants:

  • Mistletoe: This plant can cause gastrointestinal upset and in rare cases, cardiovascular problems with cats and dogs.
  • Holly: The holly plant can create mechanical injuries through its pointed leaves. Holly also contains soap-like compounds in the berries, called saponins, which can cause issues if consumed. The berries and leaves are toxic to pets and can lead to salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  • Lilies: Cats are highly sensitive to lilies. In fact, they’re so sensitive that grooming lily pollen off their fur can lead to kidney failure. Other signs of lily toxicity can include gastrointestinal upset, heart arrhythmias, and convulsions. Dogs do not develop kidney failure from eating lilies like cats do, but may have some minor stomach upset.
  • Amaryllis: The bulb of this beautiful bloom can cause salivation or oral irritation and excessive quantities can cause gastrointestinal upset.
  • You might be perplexed as to why poinsettias are not classified as toxic holiday plants. Despite the widespread misconception that poinsettias can cause animal deaths, this rarely happens. Pets would need to consume a huge amount of this plant to become poisoned, and most animals won’t do so due to the sap’s unpleasant taste and texture. Your pet might spit up and salivate at most, but once she realizes how unpleasant the sap is to her mouth and throat, she’ll probably stop eating the plant. Make sure all plants are kept out of paws’ reach to be on the safe side.

    Are fir trees poisonous to dogs?

    In its tree guide, Hartz stated that “preservatives, pesticides, fertilizers, and other agents, such as aspirin, are frequently added to tree water to keep the tree fresh.”

    However, an even greater concern is the trees water. Preservatives can be found in the live tree’s base water supply when hosting one for the season. This could be mistaken for a bowl by your pet, and if they drink from it, it might give them stomach problems or even poison them.

    One of the many seasonal plants that can be harmful to pets is Christmas trees. According to pet supply company Hartz, trees are considered “mildly toxic,” even though they aren’t the biggest worry for pets. Animals’ stomachs can become upset when exposed to the oils from trees and tree needles.

    If you are unable to keep your pets away, try covering the tree water so they cannot access it. You should also make sure your tree is in a very secure base to prevent it from falling over. You might need to take extra precautions if you have cats because they can cause Christmas trees to collapse. Some cat owners spray their tree with bitter-smelling sprays as soon as they erect it to prevent cats from playing with it.

    There are obvious risks associated with decorations in general, including lights, tinsel, and ornaments. It’s best to train your pets to stay clear of the tree, especially if they tend to be particularly reckless. Hazards include electrocution from cords, getting tangled in decorations and wires, consuming processed plastics, and breaking glass ornaments on the ground.


    Living mistletoe in your home is practically universal these days, and you can also use it to make wreaths and table centerpieces thanks to its rising popularity. However, since mistletoe is extremely poisonous to dogs, you should use caution when using it.

    If your dog consumes mistletoe, he may experience severe gastrointestinal issues, but that is likely the least of his problems because he may also suffer from breathing issues, heart issues, and nerve or brain damage. You should reconsider having your dog in your home for Christmas if you are unsure that you can keep it away from the mistletoe.


    Are fir trees poisonous?

    Fir trees are actually slightly toxic, particularly to a number of animals. Fir oils, when ingested, can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. The needles themselves can even pierce internal organs and are difficult to digest.

    What Christmas trees are poisonous to dogs?

    “You should display plants in your home with greater caution the more toxic they are” Holly, mistletoe, amaryllis, daffodils, and lilies should be considered quite toxic, while poinsettias and Christmas trees are typically safe for pets,” Black said.

    Are live Christmas trees safe for dogs?

    Live Trees: Fir, spruce, and pine trees make wonderful Christmas trees and are typically safe for pets to be around. The needles, however, have the potential to upset your stomach and irritate your mouth.

    Can dogs get sick from eating Christmas tree?

    Christmas trees tend to be either fir, spruce or pine. These types of trees are non-toxic to dogs and cats. The problem with Christmas trees for pets is typically the needles, which can irritate their mouths, get stuck in their paws, and cause stomach upset if they eat too many.