Can bug spray harm dogs?

Toxicity to pets

Most pesticides or insecticides (typically those that come in a spray can) are basic irritants to dogs and cats, and result in clinical signs of drooling, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

While bug spray is great for humans, it can be toxic for pets. Deet, a common ingredient in bug spray, can be dangerous for dogs and cause vomiting, seizures, and skin irritation when ingested. Please contact your veterinarian right away if this happens.

Advantix is a product that our hospital carries that is safe to use as both a bug repellant and a tick and flea preventative. This liquid lasts for 30 days and is applied directly to the skin between the shoulder blades.

Some pet stores sell natural products that aren’t harmful in addition to safe bug repellent. Always read ingredients to make sure it is safe.

Call us at 705-674-9191 if you require any additional information.

Symptoms of Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

Depending on the source, the clinical symptoms of insecticide poisoning can vary and are not condition-specific. Potential symptoms include:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Gagging
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lack of appetite
  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Diagnosis of Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

    Typically, the history and clinical findings used to diagnose insecticide poisoning Bring a sample of the insecticide with you if you know or suspect your dog has insecticide poisoning so the vet can recommend the right course of action. Give the vet a list of your dog’s symptoms, along with information on how long they lasted and how severe they were.

    Treatment is typically started before a diagnosis is made because insecticide poisoning can be fatal very quickly. However, with some insecticides, laboratory testing of the blood or urine can be used to confirm the diagnosis. The veterinarian will confirm a positive case if the blood’s level of cholinesterase is less than 25% of normal levels. Insecticide poisoning may not be the cause of your dog’s symptoms if you are unsure whether or not he has come into contact with an insecticide and if the clinical signs do not go away after treatment.

    It’s important to use caution and seek advice from your family veterinarian before using any products on your pet, including over-the-counter ones, as they will be able to guide you on how to keep pets safe this summer when protecting yourself and your pet from insects, especially mosquitos. And keep in mind that you should use pet-safe products like preventatives all year long to ensure your pet is shielded from harm.

    Our Fast Track Triage system classifies these as “ORANGE” – or urgent cases – if you saw or have reason to believe your pet was exposed to DEET sprays, products containing toxic essential oils, or your cat consumed your dog’s preventatives that contain Permethrin. For assistance determining whether your pet ingested a toxic amount and advice on what to do next, we advise contacting ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435. Call your family veterinarian or nearby animal emergency hospital before you arrive if receiving veterinary care is recommended.

    In these situations, bathing, mouth rinses, and eye irrigation are frequently necessary for decontamination. For stomachaches, allergic or inflammatory reactions, corneal ulcers, and seizures, medication may occasionally be prescribed. The concentration of the product, the amount consumed, and the type of exposure will all affect the veterinarian’s prognosis.

    Instances where dogs are sprayed by a punctured canister or consume a lot of the substance can result in worse symptoms. Common symptoms include:

    Numerous spray products contain DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), which is safe for humans. Some items marketed toward dogs contain it in very small amounts as well. Even when used as directed, it’s crucial for pet owners to be aware that some dogs can react to DEET and develop itchy skin. Additionally, overexposure can occur if these products are used frequently or repeatedly on your pet’s skin.


    Is bug spray toxic to dogs?

    Both dogs and cats are sensitive to DEET, claims the ASPCA. Utilizing it might result in neurological issues like tremors, seizures, or even death. Your neighborhood pet supply store carries mosquito repellent that is safe for pets. Additionally, you ought to ask your veterinarian for advice on such products.

    How long after spraying bug spray is it safe for dogs?

    Your furry friends do not need to leave completely. Just give the products some time to dry (about 30 to 60 minutes for outdoor treatments and 2-3 hours for indoor treatments) before letting your cats and dogs roam freely through the treated areas.

    What happens if a dog licks bug spray?

    Any product that contains DEET in any concentration can be harmful to dogs. When around dogs and cats who might lick your skin, avoid using DEET products on yourself or others as they may vomit, stumble, or experience seizures after ingesting it.