Can dogs eat daisies?

The daisy family is among the largest plant family, with over 600 species and thousands of subtypes. The consumption of one or two daisies will usually not harm your pup, but eating a large amount of daisies could be enough to cause vomiting, drooling, and even muscle spasms or convulsions.

Daisies are a beautiful, cheerful flower that many people love to see in their gardens and yards. They are also a popular choice for decorating a home or to brighten up a room. But when it comes to our four-legged friends, can dogs eat daisies? This is an important question, as the safety of our furry family members is paramount. In this blog post, we will explore the potential benefits and risks of feeding daisies to our canine companions. We will look at what part of the daisy is edible for dogs, the potential health benefits, as well as any potential risks. Finally, we will discuss other plants that may be safer and healthier to feed to our dogs.

What Plants Should I Look Out For?

Can dogs eat daisies?

The following plants are highlighted because they resemble common daisies and are part of the larger daisy family (Asteraceae). It is advisable for dog parents to be aware of them because they can be toxic if consumed frequently or in large quantities, even if the dog only eats a few flowers.

Another plant that resembles the common daisy is mayweed or chamomile. These plants contain essential and volatile oils like tannic acid, anthemic acid, and bisabolol. Despite their well-known medicinal benefits, these substances are frequently bitter and irritant to the skin and gums, which when consumed can lead to allergic reactions, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally even loss of appetite.

They reportedly even have the potential to increase the tendency to bleed over time if consumed in large quantities on a regular basis. However, if a dog only occasionally eats a few flowers, this is not cause for concern.

Though they look like daisies, daisy mums belong to the Chrysanthemum family. Like many other Asteraceae, they contain sesquiterpene lactones and pyrethrins (a chemical used to kill fleas), and other irritants. If a dog eats too many daisy mums, symptoms you might notice are drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, and skin irritation.

Finally, fleabane is another close relative of the “true” daisy. It is sometimes called “Showy Daisy,” “Horseweed,” or “Seaside Daisy. Additionally, it has ingredients that can aggravate the skin, stomach, and mouth. But, like its relatives, it is unlikely to cause major issues.

My Dog Ate A Daisy: What Should I Do Now?

Can dogs eat daisies?

Verify that your dog has only ingested or chewed on daisies. Although daisies and their relatives are unlikely to result in serious or protracted problems, it is important to check other plants. You can find a list of the plants your dog should avoid chewing below.

If he were to permit it, look for irritation in your dog’s mouth, keeping in mind that it doesn’t always manifest itself right away. Some dogs only experience mouth irritation after repeatedly chewing on daisies. This is due to the fact that some of the plant’s components may result in gradual allergic reactions rather than an immediate one.

You can give your dog some water to drink and rinse his mouth out if he appears to be in good health.

Be aware that your dog might vomit. This would not be unusual after eating flowers or plants. Most of the time, this is nothing to be too concerned about, but if it does, it is best to call your veterinarian to discuss what to do next.

Call your veterinarian if your dog seems uncomfortable. Rarely, when dogs eat grass or plants, a small piece of plant matter may become lodged in the back of their throats and cause discomfort and retching until it is removed.

How poisonous are daisies?

The daisies might be mildly poisonous for your pets. The toxicity depends on how much your pet has consumed. Even though it might not seem dangerous, if your pet eats it, it could make them sick.

If your pet exhibits symptoms like vomiting, drooling, or a swollen mouth, even though you may not have seen them eat the plant, examine the source. And you might discover the source of your pet’s bite.

If you discover that a sizable portion of the plant is missing and may have been consumed by your pet, call the veterinarian right away to take control of the situation and treat your pet as soon as possible.

Daisys fall under classes two and four of toxicity, which are the four categories. It means the toxicity level is minor and low. If ingested, the plant can cause vomiting and diarrhea. It can also cause skin rash or irritation. You can treat and take care of these problems. With that said, you should not take it lightly.


Are daisy flowers poisonous?

Do You Know Which Flower Could Be Dangerous to Your Child? The Answer Is: Daisy Chrysanthemums, also known as daisies, are toxic to children and can result in a number of symptoms such as skin rashes and blistering.

What part of daisy is toxic to dogs?

Daisy Mums contain sesquiterpene lactones, pyrethrins (a substance used to kill fleas), and other irritants, similar to many other Asteraceae. You might observe signs such as drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, and skin irritation if a dog consumes too many daisy mums.

Are daisies toxic to animals?

Although they are widespread, daisies can be extremely toxic to a variety of animals, including cats. In some cases, the negative effects of eating daisies can be very dangerous.

What flowers dogs can’t eat?

Poisonous garden plants include Azalea, Buttercups, Chrysanthemums, Gardenias, Gladiolas, Hibiscus, Hyacinth, Hydrangeas, Mums, Primroses, Rhododendrons, and Sweet Peas. Keep your dogs away from your neighbor’s prize-winning flower bushes for this and other reasons.