Can dogs eat onion chips?

Sour cream and onion chips are unhealthy and dangerous for dogs to eat. Dogs should never eat onions – even onion powder. All parts of the onion plant are toxic for dogs.

Many people enjoy giving their pets snacks, but some foods can be harmful to animals. There are a few considerations when giving sour cream and onion chips to dogs.

The sodium content of dog chips is the main cause for concern. Dogs who consume too much sodium risk developing vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures. If you’re going to feed your dog chips, it’s best to do so sparingly and pick a brand with a low sodium content.

The amount of onions in sour cream and onion chips is something else to take into account. Onions can be toxic to dogs and can cause anemia. Giving your dog chips that contain onions or onion powder is generally not a good idea.

If you do choose to feed your dog sour cream and onion chips, keep a close eye on them. Some dogs may be more sensitive than others to the ingredients and may have negative reactions. Stop giving your dog chips right away and call your veterinarian if you notice them throwing up or having diarrhea after eating them.

What should you do if your dog appears to have “onion poisoning”?

Here are the prompt steps to take should your dog experience onion poisoning.

If your dog has been eating onions for a while, take any leftover onions and put them somewhere out of reach right away. As much as you can, you must maintain your dog’s composure. As previously mentioned, eating onions can cause a decrease in red blood cells. Thus, it’s essential to prevent your dog from becoming overexcited and active, as this could result in unconsciousness.

We strongly advise you to take your dog to the veterinarian if you do happen to catch him/her eating a few onions. Your veterinarian can quickly induce vomiting within a few hours to remove the onions from your dog’s system. Vets might also administer charcoal for toxin absorption. However, your friend would likely need a blood transfusion if blood tests reveal hemolytic anemia.

Signs of onion toxicity in dogs

It’s critical to recognize the symptoms of onion toxicity in dogs in order to quickly administer first aid. Suppose your dog eats little to moderate amounts of onions. Then, it might not be entirely apparent and hardly ever result in illness.

However, if they consume a sizable amount or nibble on some of them frequently, your dog will probably become ill. For this reason, we have provided the following symptoms to watch out for:

  • Foul breath (not good for play dates)
  • Mouth irritation due to drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Reddish urine discoloration
  • And more
  • The first two may be routine aspects of receiving four-legged adoration for your dog, but the last three are blatant signs that you should leave me alone. Even though we can’t communicate in bark, we now have the knowledge to recognize these symptoms in time.


    Even if your dog manages to snuffle a crisp, they shouldn’t consume cheese and onion crisps on a regular basis. Although the amount of onion in a bag of chips won’t kill your dog, eating a little onion or garlic on a regular basis can cause problems, even if it’s in powdered form like the flavors on some crisps.


    What happens if a dog eats onion chips?

    Onions contain a toxic principle known as N-propyl disulfide. This substance makes red blood cells break down, resulting in canine anemia. The toxin attaches to the oxygen molecules in the red blood cells of your dog, causing oxidative damage to those cells.

    What should I do if my dog eats a little bit of onion?

    Mild exposure to onions or garlic will probably not kill dogs, but severe poisoning can, especially if left untreated. Even if there are no immediate symptoms, you should take your dog to the vet right away if you know they have consumed too many onions or garlic.

    Can my dog have onion ring crisps?

    No, onions are poisonous to dogs whether they are fried, diced, or powdered. They contain N-propyl disulfide, which breaks down canine red blood cells and can cause anemia or organ failure, along with other plants in the Allium family like garlic, leeks, shallots, and chives.

    What happens if a dog eats cheese and onion crisps?

    Your dog will likely experience severe stomach pain and may vomit or have diarrhea. They might develop pancreatitis and sodium poisoning from consuming so many crisps. Although they are unlikely, these conditions can be fatal, so it is best to completely avoid them.