Do dogs eat mice?

Dogs with a strong predatory instinct and are known hunting breeds may be interested in eating up a mouse one time or another. Especially if you live in an area where rats and mice are frequently found roaming in the backyard, some dogs can’t just help but chase, catch and eat these tiny rodents.

You probably caught your dog in the act if he ate a mouse. What you need to know about your dog’s preferred snack is here!

You should contact a veterinarian or an emergency hotline if your dog has consumed a mouse. Although a mouse itself may not be harmful to your dogs, the poison or disease it may carry is. Mice have a variety of parasites and diseases, including roundworms. These can lead to a variety of issues, including long-term health issues for your dog’s diet and nutrient absorption.

Secondary poisoning – ingesting an already poisoned rodent

A slight chance of secondary poisoning exists if a pet eats a rodent that has consumed rat bait. The timing, quantity, and type of poison the rodent ingested as well as the number of rodents your pet ate will all affect the level of toxicity your pet will experience. For instance, if a Jack Russell Terrier eats 1-2 rats, this may be enough to result in symptoms. However, cats might need to eat a lot more rodents to be harmed. Please get in touch with us directly if you think your pet may have consumed a poisoned rat or mouse for advice on what to do. We suggest reading our article on rat bait poisoning for more details.

Is Eating Mice Safe for Dogs?

Although it may seem natural for dogs to eat rodents, you should really stop your dog from doing so.

Eating mice can have a number of negative effects, some of which may even be fatal.

Not to mention that if the rat or mouse died from poisoning, they could face serious consequences!

If you’ve ever wondered if dogs can die from eating mice, you should know that it is possible.


Bromethalin is one of the most dangerous poisons that is commonly lethal to dogs. It causes cerebral edema, which is a dangerous condition that leads to brain swelling. The swelling stops the brain’s blood supply, and without blood, the brain doesn’t get any oxygen.

Long-lasting effects of bromethalin poisoning make even small doses extremely dangerous. Signs of poisoning include:

Symptoms can appear two to 36 hours after poisoning. It would be ideal if you immediately took your dog to the veterinarian. He’ll most likely need to spend a few days in the veterinarian’s office. He will likely receive specific medications and activated charcoal from the veterinarian there. Without adequate treatment, your dog will die.


Is it OK for a dog to eat a mouse?

Although cats and some dogs may catch mice or rats as a natural activity, eating rodents can have negative effects on our pets. There is a risk of getting toxoplasmosis or an intestinal worm infection, as well as secondary rat bait poisoning.

What kind of dog eats mice?

Dachshunds are commonly recommended as mousers. Their instinct drives them to pursue small animals like mice because they were bred to flush out burrowing animals like badgers. They make good lap dogs and are much lower energy than terriers, but they also enjoy digging (part of that chasing burrowing animals thing).

Can dogs get sick from mice?

Leptospirosis is spread by the Leptospira bacteria, which rodents and other animals can spread to both humans and animals. Dogs may contract an infection directly (such as from eating or being bitten by a rat) or indirectly (such as by drinking water tainted with urine).

How do dogs react to mice?

Your dog may run close to the walls when it notices mice, appearing alert and excited. Your dog might be waving its tail and rubbing against a wall. There’s a chance that your dog will sniff the wall and then follow the scent along it.