Can dogs die from eating candle wax?

Wax candles are typically made from paraffin, beeswax, or soy. None of these materials tend to be poisonous to dogs. When ingested, they tend to soften and pass through the dog’s intestinal tract without issue.

The question of whether or not dogs can die from eating candle wax is an important one that many pet owners have had to consider. Candle wax is a common household item, and it’s not uncommon for curious dogs to investigate it. But can candle wax be deadly for dogs? The answer is yes. Ingesting candle wax can have serious consequences for dogs, even potentially leading to death. In this blog post, we will examine why candle wax is dangerous to dogs and what pet owners should do if their dog consumes it. We’ll also discuss how to prevent a dog from eating candle wax in the future. By understanding the risks associated with candle wax consumption, pet owners can take the necessary precautions to keep their beloved animals safe.

Why do dogs eat candle wax?

Dogs love to eat anything that smells good. They think your pumpkin spice cinnamon candle is food because it smells as good to them as it does to you, so they consume it.

Dogs will occasionally consume unscented candles as well, perhaps out of curiosity, boredom, or separation anxiety.

My Dog Ate a Candle. What Should I Do?

Can dogs die from eating candle wax?

There are several steps to take if your dog recently consumed a candle. There are additional signs to watch out for that would be different if Fido had consumed something other than a candle. Let’s take a look at the steps you should follow.

Remove any additional candle fragments from the area as soon as you notice your dog eating a candle to make sure no more can be consumed. While you clean up, you might need to lock your pet in a room that they can’t escape from.

If it is safe to do so, clean your dog’s mouth of any wax. Check his mouth for burns if the candle was lit, but keep in mind that he might be uncomfortable and more likely to bite.

Find the candle’s packaging if you can because it probably lists the ingredients, which the veterinarian will appreciate. This is not essential, but useful.

Call your nearest open veterinary clinic and explain the problem. Be ready to describe to your veterinarian the size of the candle, the type of wick it has, whether or not it contains any metal, plastic, glass, or other solid parts, how much of it your dog has consumed, and its size.

Follow your veterinarian’s advice about what to do next. Depending on the circumstance, they may advise either an immediate visit to the clinic or a more cautious “watching and waiting” strategy to see if Fido passes the candle in his feces or develops a medical condition that necessitates a trip to the veterinary clinic.

What Happens When A Dog Eats A Candle?

Most of the time, a plain candle eaten by a dog will pass through its digestive tract unharmed and emerge at the other end.

Wax is a hard substance to digest and even though it will soften as it passes through the intestine, it may still result in diarrhea or constipation.

However, if the candle is successfully expelled, the issue will be solved. Wax will usually be passed within 2 days. You, the selfless owner, are once again tasked with the thankless task of keeping track of your dog’s feces.

When a lot has been consumed, plain candles are most dangerous. This is because they might suffocate the dog or result in an obstruction inside. If wax gets stuck on the way in or out, it is a serious issue.

A whole candle, including the wick and metal base, could be dangerous for your dog’s health.

Long wicks are especially dangerous because they can encircle the intestines.

Typically, they are made of braided cotton that is difficult to tear. When swallowed, glass or metal pieces may pierce the dog’s internal organs. Both substances have the potential to block your dog’s airway, similar to a large piece of wax.

If your dog ate some scented candles, there are additional potential problems. These could manifest as allergic reactions or neurological symptoms, which are discussed in more detail in the section below.

Despite the fact that it would take many scented candles to have these effects, ingesting chemicals may alter how the situation is handled.


Is a candle poisonous to dogs?

The quick response is that candles can be harmful to your dog. Many candles emit nasty toxins and chemicals into the air. These toxins can be harmful to both humans and dogs.

What happens if you eat a little bit of candle wax?

Symptoms. In general, wax is not poisonous. A small amount of crayon will not harm a child if they eat it; the wax will simply pass through their system. On the other hand, consuming a lot of wax or crayons can cause intestinal obstruction.